Essential Letters and Sounds - ELS
What is Essential Letters and Sounds?
Essential Letters and Sounds is a Systematic Synthetic Phonics (SSP) programme, validated by the Department for Education.
By distilling Letters and Sounds to its purest form, – its essence – we ensure every phonics lesson is taught to the highest standard. Essential Letters and Sounds is an SSP where only the essential elements are included.
Essential Letters and Sounds…
- is delivered to the whole class
- combines continuous and reactive assessment
- provides robust intervention
- is rigorous and engaging
- supports teachers to ensure the lowest attaining children keep up rather than catch up
- aligns with books from Oxford University Press
- provides immediate, in the lesson intervention
- provides whole school training, accessible at times that suit your school timetable
- supports Reading and Phonics Leads
- training subscription includes an assessment tracker and analysis dashboard
An example of a Phase 2-5 Sound Mat